13.10.15

My Book: The Mermaid Stitch

I mentioned in my last post that this week I'll be taking the first 20 pictures for my book. I think it's time that I tell you about what will be contained in those pictures.

First, let me take you back a while. As I said in my introduction post, I've been knitting and crocheting since I was in elementary/middle school. Now, I'm still pretty young. For me, "since elementary school" doesn't mean I've been learning fiber arts for decades. However, I was homeschooled and constantly encouraged to learn everything I could about the things I liked. So in the few years I've been knitting and crocheting, I've learned a lot. Like, a LOT a lot. I used to read blogs and come up with some grand afghan idea every week (I never finished any of them by the way) and sit in my room talking to myself pretending I was teaching a class. I LOVED it and quickly learned at least a little bit about every world within the fiber arts.

One of my very favorite crochet techniques back in the day was the crocodile stitch. If you've never ventured into the crochet world you may not know what this is. Basically, the crocodile stitch creates a fabric of of little scallop-y scales that all fit together staggered on top of each other. It's b e a u t i f u l. A lot of people use it to make triangular shawls. Here's a picture of the stitch I saved the longest time ago (I can't remember where I found it but full credit goes to that person... this thing is gorgeous!):


*jaw hits floor* I know, I know, same here. I could eat it it's so pretty.
Now, since my blog is still fairly new, you may not know this about me: I like to reinvent wheels. When coming up with new patterns I always always always ask myself if what I'm designing is something the world has never seen before. If not, I drop it. I want each and every one of my patterns to be one of those, "Ugh! I should have thought of that!" type things.
So maybe you've guessed it by now. You're a smart person, you probably have.

I am in the process of writing a book about the knitted version of the crocheted crocodile stitch. I'm calling it: The Mermaid Stitch.

Now, I'm not gonna lie, if you google "knit crocodile stitch" a few tutorials will come up. I'm not the first person to think about this. But do you see that loveliness up above? No one has created a knitted version that even comes close to looking like that, with the scallops perfectly scallop-y and all nested in between each other. It doesn't exist.

Well, actually, it does. It's sitting next to me as I type this.

I developed a technique that looks just. like. the crocheted version. And let me tell you, it took a while to nail this down. It was tough to come up with! But I've simplified it so it's super duper easy and fun and addictive (and unlike any other technique I've ever seen). I cannot wait to share it with you all and with the rest of the knitting world!

I will be releasing the very first pattern of the e-book on November 27th (the day after Thanksgiving). I'll tell you this - the very first pattern will be a cute little project perfect for the Christmas season. I'll reveal more about it as the day gets closer so stay tuned!

Ok, that's all I have for you guys today. Be sure to head over to my Ravelry group and let me know what you think.
I hope to talk with you there!
Grace