9.10.15

Weekly Goal Recap 3: How to Submit to Knit Picks' IDP Program

So I did it! Finally, after a few years of considering it, I submitted my Tulip bag pattern to Knit Picks' IDP program. IDP stands for Independent Designer Partnership. You can go over here and read about it if you like. It's a lovely program that allows designers to sell within Knit Picks' vast collection of patterns designed by Indy designers. And they provide this at no charge to the designer. Super cool.

Here's how it works: 
First, you must submit a one-page pattern proposal. This proposal can either be a Microsoft Word Document or a PDF. It must include these things:

A picture of the product. If you haven't actually made your thing yet, this can be a computer-generated or hand-drawn "prototype" or diagram of your design. The reason Knit Picks allows this is, if needed, they will give you the yarn you need to make the project! How cool is that? If they believe in your pattern, they'll give you the yarn support you need to make it. For me, I had already made the bag (in Knit Picks yarn) years ago, so I just included a picture. I also included the link to Tulip's Ravelry page.

A description of the pattern.  Obviously, you must explain what your pattern is or what it's going to be. Since I was submitting Tulip, I just used the description I already have written on the Rav page. Include things like inspiration, difficulty level, materials needed, all that jazz.

Suggested Price. KP has 8 set price levels: $1.99, $2.99, $3.99, $4.99, $5.99, $6.99, $7.99, and free. Now, I sell Tulip on Ravelry for $4.50. I didn't want to choose $3.99 because I would be ripping off the people who have purchased Tulip in the past... So I went with $4.99.

The yarn you used (or need). It may go without saying, but this yarn must be Knit Picks' yarn. I made Tulip with their Wool of the Andes Worsted, so I was all good. But had I made it in, say, Red Heart, I would need to either buy yarn or ask for support to re-knit it in KP yarn. Not only should you put this yarn on your pattern proposal, but when you submit your proposal on their site, there's a place to select a yarn line and request colors if needed.

Contact Information. KP also requests that you include your e-mail, Ravelry username, address, and website if you have one.

Designer Bio. Ok, this one was a bit difficult for me. They ask that you include a little ditty about yourself. I'm so bad at this kind of stuff. I never know what to include, what NOT to include, how to make it sound humble but professional and UGH, it's just tough for me! So I researched how to write a good bio about yourself... here's what I found:
1. Keep it short.
Don't bore your audience with a long list of accomplishments. Get right to the point with the big things you've done and connect people to your story.
2. Include your unique advantage.
Part of connecting people to your story includes telling them about what makes you uniquely YOU. Let them know what makes you special, whether that's an aspect of all your patterns or a unique living situation; anything along those lines will get people intrigued. 
3. Don't make it long.
It's worth saying again. A short, well-written bio that intrigues people is sososososoSO much better than a long one that no one cares to read.

That's what a Knit Picks' IDP pattern submission looks like. If you've been considering it for a while, I'd highly suggest going for it! I'll keep you posted in the weeks to come on how all this ends up.


My Goal: Week 4
This week I'm going to photograph and edit the first 20 tutorial pictures for my book. Now, I want to be clear: the very first book I put out will only be on Ravelry as an e-book (perhaps Amazon as well). This way, I can learn the graphic design ropes and get plenty of experience without worrying about all the little things I must think about for physical copies. Anywho, over the next 7 days, I'm going to take & edit the first 20 pictures for the technique tutorial. This will get me well on my way to bringing this book to fruition! I'm so ridiculously excited for you to see what I have up my sleeves.

Ok - I'll talk with you Tuesday!
Grace