23.10.15

Weekly Goal Recap 5: Planning My Next Pattern

Hey everyone!
Last week's goal was to set up my youtube channel. That has been accomplished! You can go subscribe here if you so desire! I'll be posting videos in the very near future.
Ok, so here's my header:


I'll tell you a bit about the process: The header must be 1560 x 1440 pixels but the words or icon can only take up the center 1546 x 423 pixels so that it'll show up correctly on mobile devices. They have a template available but for some odd reason I decided to do it the hard way (aka adjusting and saving the words like 256388548 times to try and get it right). But I'm super happy with it now, so it's all good.

My lesson for you guys: If you want to create a youtube channel, use their template for your channel art. Please.

This week I've had a chance to design some fun stuff. I've always wanted to try my hand at fair isle chart designing but it took some fabulous inspiration to finally get me started. On Sunday, I caught a glimpse of some g o r g e o u s fair isle Christmas stockings and immediately I was struck with the desire to create some of my own. Now, I'll tell you, I don't totally love sock construction. I love sock yarn, I love sock needles, I love socks, but I don't love sock construction. I got to thinking: I can't be the only one!

So I decided these stockings wouldn't involve any heel turns. Or kitchener toes. Or even working in the round. Yep, they'll be made flat.

That got me to thinking that if a beginner was equipped with some basic fair isle instructions even they could make one! So I figured I should be the one to equip them using, you guessed it, my youtube channel.

Now, I told you on Tuesday how I made the fair isle charts. They're all finished. Now I just need to do the knitting & make the vids. Quite honestly, this'll be a lesson in fair isle for me! There's no better way to cement knowledge into your own head than to teach that knowledge to others.

The pattern will include 4 charts:
-2 colors w/o long floats
-2 colors w/ long floats
-3 colors w/o long floats
-3 colors w/ long floats

They're will be a way to combine all of these for a total of 16 different stocking designs you can make. Basically, you'll be able to challenge your fair isle chops and create a lovely stocking no matter your skill level.



My Goal: Week 6 
Create all the outlines for my fair isle videos. That's right, outlines. My videos will essentially be scripted. Why? Because I do. not. like. "ahs" and "ums" in videos. I want to make these videos super duper helpful & concise not only for the beginners who'll find me through the stocking pattern on Ravelry, but also for people who just search "how to knit fair isle" on youtube. 
I'll need to write and organize 3 outlines:
1. How to knit 2-color fair isle
2. How to catch long floats in fair isle
3. How to knit fair isle with more than 2 colors
It's going to be a lot of writing! I'm ready!

Until Tuesday,
Grace