18.9.15

How to Set Weekly Goals in Order to Drive Your Fiber Arts Career Forward

Lately, I've been considering what I'm doing here. I have my book planned out and outlined, and all of the products will be finished by the end of the year for photography. But I want to work on something, book related or not, before then. I want to build my "brand" tons before my book releases (which, by the way, I've decided to keep it to an e-book format for my first try at book-writing). I just need something to get me going. So I came up with the idea of setting weekly goals or weekly actions for myself; giving myself one little thing each week that will move me forward. 

So what are weekly goals exactly? Well, it's pretty self-explanatory, but basically I'm going to devote all of my attention to one major thing each week. Each Friday's post will cover my weekly goals from here on out.

Maybe you have something in mind that you want to work on, but you just can't seem to decide of a first step. You should join me!

Here's how I'm going to be picking and setting my weekly actionable goals:

1. Each weekly goal should have a consistent time requirement.
Here's what I mean: Each goal should take about the same amount of time. Don't spend 15 minutes on one goal one week, and 8 hours the next week. Set aside a specific amount of time each day, and when selecting your goal for the week, make sure it fits within that time constraint. If it doesn't, you should break down that goal further.
Why? The very best way to accomplish something long-term is to make it a habit. Taking few minutes every day will make this a routine, and goal setting should always be a routine!

1. Each weekly goal should have a specific number tied to it.
Goals that never get accomplished usually don't have specific numbers tied to them. "I want to work out more" won't happen long-term. "I will work out 30 minutes 4 times per week" is far more likely to actually happen. So set a number and tie it to your goal.

3. Each weekly goal should have a "why" behind it.
Remember this post? It's incredibly important that all of your goals have a deeper reason behind them. It'll be your driver when you don't feel like completing what you've set out to do.


My Goal: Week 1
My goal for this coming week is to re-design one of the PDFs currently in my Ravelry store. I've learned a TON over the few weeks I've been writing this blog and I want to apply this knowledge to the patterns I'm currently selling. I'm going to start out with my most popular pattern, The Tulip Bag. 
I'll get to my other patterns in future weeks, but for now I'm just starting with 1. This shouldn't take more than 15 minutes everyday.
Also, if you're not familiar with Ravelry, I should mention that all of the people who have previously purchased Tulip will receive the update. Everyone benefits from the re-design, not just the people who buy it going forward.


So how about you? Do you want to join in?
Head over to my Ravelry Group  to tell me what you're working on this week. I'm going to set up a new thread every week for all of us to engage under and discuss our goals for the week.

I hope you guys can join me in progressing your fiber arts career!
Until Tuesday,
Grace